Buy to Let
We want to make it simple and easy for you to get the right Buy to Let deal for your client.
- Mortgages available up to 75% LTV.
- Free standard valuation up to a property value of £2.5m - available on all products.
- Plus £250 cashback when your client remortgages their Buy to Let to us. Early repayment charges apply.
- Flat fee, percentage fee and no product fee options.
How much could my client borrow?
The rent needs to cover both:
- 145% of the mortgage at our Buy to Let affordability rate (based on interest only), and
- 100% of the mortgage at our Buy to Let affordability rate (based on the chosen repayment method) AND the running costs of the property.
Our Buy to Let affordability rate is 5.50% up to and including 75% LTV.
We’ll consider the following monthly running costs for the property:
- Agent's fees (if applicable)
- Allowance for rental voids
- Allowance for property maintenance
- Ground rent and service charge
- Other monthly commitments to be paid from rent
- Other monthly costs.
- At least one applicant must own the residential property which they live in.
- At least one applicant must be employed or self-employed.
- Maximum loan size £750,000.
- Minimum property value £75,000 (no maximum).
- Maximum LTV 75%; new build flats 70% LTV.
- Buy to Let remortgage with capital raising (including debt consolidation) for personal use up to 75% LTV.
Income and property criteria
Minimum income of highest earning borrower
|At application||At completion|
|Max number of secured credit commitments||Max let properties with Santander||Max let properties in total|
Mortgage Credit Directive and Buy to Let mortgages
The Mortgage Credit Directive (MCD), effective 21 March 2016, introduces a legislative framework for Consumer Buy to Let (CBTL). This covers the small number of Buy to Lets where the borrower has not entered into the mortgage contract for business/investment purposes.
Buy to Let mortgages for business/investment purposes are not covered by the new MCD rules. This type of mortgage will be known as Investment Buy to Let.
- We’ll offer both Investment BTL and CBTL mortgages.
- We’ll continue to use the same lending policy, rental coverage calculation and products for both.
View our helpful guide for more information on Investment and Consumer Buy to Let mortgages.
Buy to Let calculator
Check whether the rent meets our minimum rental cover and whether the property is self-financing.Find out more
Buy to Let criteria
View and search our Buy to Let lending criteriaFind out more
Introducer Internet guide
Shows you how to submit a new Buy to Let application on Introducer InternetFind out more